Self care practice
Updated: Jul 2
Do you struggle to prioritize your own self-care?
Self-care is something we all struggle with. A good definition of self-care is regularly doing things for yourself that make you feel good.
There are many reasons we struggle, prioritizing our needs is not something we are taught, we have to learn. We may have learned and felt more comfortable being the caretaker, however, this is not a sustainable role unless you practice self-care.
The idea of self-care conjures up images of spa days or weekend retreats, which sound great, however, it is the every day easy to schedule self-care tools that are most effective.
Here are some tips and tools to help with your self-care practice:
1. Schedule it in. Mark out time in the diary, morning and evening for some form of self-care, once it’s scheduled it’s harder to find excuses!
2. Grounding and connecting with nature. Making that connection with the earth and getting out in fresh air gives you time to connect to yourself without any distractions.
3. Ensure you get 8 hours sleep, take time before bed to disconnect from the day, from screens, etc.
4. Focus and Gratitude. Create a morning routine, visualize your day going according to plan and express gratitude for all the good in your life.
5. Fun. When have you had fun? Take time away from computers, phone and do something that really enjoys, paint, create, whatever is fun for you.
Remember, a self-care practice is completely personal, the most important thing is that your practice resonates with you and gives you an overall sense of well-being and inner peace.